Friday, February 20, 2009

Practicing therapeutic touch in Egypt in summer of 2008

During our spiritual journey through life there are moments and episodes that move and shift us so dramatically we have no choice but to change and take action. My three month long stay in Egypt during the summer of 2008 proved to be such an episode. One that would confirm my knowledge of therapeutic touch combined with my love of community service could come together with amazing results.
Being Egyptian and having lived in Cairo most of my life I was more than aware of the extreme conditions that cause enormous stress in people’s lives. Our citizens were left to live in an environment that is physically, emotionally and spiritually draining.
I felt drawn to somehow help relieve the pressures in the lives of those good, strong people so I discussed with my mother the possibility of holding a ‘Spiritual Healing Devotion’ evening twice a week in her home. She opened her door with loving arms and I began to invite people. It was an immediate success. I invited neighbors, friends, friends of friends and human rights groups. The guests were a diverse group from all ages, religions and social status. The common thread between all of them was their desire for something other than their daily struggles.
I began by welcoming and praising everyone for their willingness to participate and swiftly moved on to begin talking about energy. What is energy? Are they aware of it in their bodies and their lives? Do they know how it affects their relationships and everyday happenings? After discussing this I went on to prove the existence of energy by having the group sit in a unity circle and place their hands, without touching, above their neighbors and more…. From this they began to understand how, once their spiritual part is uplifted and aware of their positive energy they will achieve positive thinking.
From this higher level of energy within the room I went on to explain how we can send each other colors. This peaceful energy that was being experienced combined with the relaxing atmosphere that I had created with candles and soft music enveloped the guests to a relaxed state and enabled them to move freely into a ten to fifteen minute meditation.
After the meditation I invited whoever wished to contribute to read from their holy writings. Each session I would choose a theme to discuss and the participants spoke freely and with ease. After this devotion period we would break for refreshments and social time. It was during this time I chose to practice therapeutic touch. As the other guests were mingling, discussing the previous activities I was able to have one on one with the individual in a quiet corner.
I began by cleanse them of all negative energy, Then I would attempting to balance all parts of their lives, and then I would ground them. This process was then repeated two to three times until all negativity was released.
The result was truly beautiful and without fail every person would open up their hearts and release their tears. Emotion flowing freely they felt a sense of self that had not been experienced before. This escape away from mind, away from relationships, worries, stresses and fears felt like a new beginning.
Unanimously people wanted to return, so with the generosity of my mother opening her house so freely I decided to offer therapeutic touch for no charge twice weekly. Without fail every session was a full house of between 15-25 people.

One of my goals is to be able to offer the beautiful people of Egypt new hope in themselves, to help them to find strength to overcome their difficulties, to be an instrument for them to renew their faith was far more than I could ever have dreamed of yet, it became reality. Through my knowledge of therapeutic touch I was able to leave a lasting impression in many people’s lives. I feel truly blessed to be able to offer this and it is my mission to continue this work to the best of my ability to not only the people of Egypt, but of the world.

No comments: