Saturday, June 18, 2011

DUA AL SAHAR - Islamic Dawn Prayer

Joyful and Heart Touching Islamic prayer.

The Du`ā saḥar (Dawn Prayer)

of

Muhammad al-Bāqir (d. c.126/743) for the Ramaḍān, Fasting period.

Trans. Stephen N. Lambden.

The translation below retains the rendering of initial words as selected by Shoghi Effendi Rabbani (c. 1896-1957) the Guardian of the Bahā'i religion and attempts to give some indication of the rhythmic nature of the original.

[1]

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ بَهَائِكَ بِأَبْهَاهُ،

وَكُلُّ بَهَائِكَ بَهِيٌّ، اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ بِبَهَائِكَ كُلِّهِ

O my God!

I beseech Thee by Thy Bahā' (Splendor) at its most Splendid (abhā')

for all Thy Splendor (bahā') is truly resplendent (bahiyy).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the fullness of Thy Splendor (bahā').

[2]

اللَّهُمَّ إنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ جَمَالِكَ بِأَجْمَلِهِ وَكُلُّ جَمَالِكَ جَمِيلٌ

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ بِجَمَالِكَ كُلِّهِ

O my God!

I beseech Thee by Thy Jamāl (Beauty) at its most beautiful (ajmal)

for all Thy Beauty (jamāl) is truly beauteous (jamīl).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Beauty (jamāl).

[3]

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ جَلاَلِكَ بِأَجَلِّهِ وَكُلِّ جَلاَلِكَ جَلِيلٌ

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ بِجَلاَلِكَ كُلِّهِ

O my God!

I beseech Thee by Thy Jalāl (Glory) in its supreme Glory (ajall)

for all Thy Glory (jalāl) is truly Glorious (jalīl).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the totality of Thy Glory (jalāl).

[4]

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ عَظَمَتِكَ بِأَعْظَمِهَا وَكُلُّ عَظَمَتِكَ عَظِيمَةٌ

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أِسْأَلُكَ بِعَظَمَتِكَ كُلِّهَا

O my God!

I beseech Thee by thy `Azimat (Grandeur) at its supreme Grandness (a`zam)

for all Thy Grandeur (`azamat) is truly Grandiose (`azim).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the fullness of Thy Grandeur (`azamat).

[5]

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ نُورِكَ بِأَنْوَرِهِ، وَكُلُّ نُورِكَ نَيِّرٌ

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ بِنُورِكَ كُلِّهِ

O my God!

I beseech Thee by Thy Nūr (Light) through all of its Lights (anwār)

for all Thy Light (nūr) is truly Luminous (nayyīr).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Light (nūr).

[6]

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ رَحْمَتِكَ بِأَوْسَعِهَا وَكُلُّ رَحْمَتِكَ وَاسِعَةٌ

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ بِرَحْمَتِكَ كُلِّهَا

O my God!

I beseech Thee by thy Raḥmat (Mercy) by virtue of its All-Encompassing nature (awsa`)

for all of Thy Mercy (raḥmat) is indeed All-Embracing ( wāsi`a).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Mercy (rahmat).

[7]

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ كَلِمَاتِكَ بِأَتَمِّهَا وَكُلُّ كَلِمَاتِكَ تَامَّةٌ

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ بِكَلِمَاتِكَ كُلِّهَا ِ

O my God!

I beseech Thee by Thy Kalimāt (Words) at their most Perfect (atamm)

for all Thy Words (kalimāt) are truly Complete (tāmmat).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the totality of Thy Words (kalimāt).

[8]

اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ كَمالِكَ بِاَكْمَلِهِ وَ كُلُّ كَمالِكَ كامِلٌ

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِكَمالِكَ كُلِّهِ

O my God!

I beseech Thee by Thy Kamāl (Perfection) in its absolute Perfectness (akmal)

for Thy Perfection (kamāl) is truly Perfect (kāmil).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the completeness of Thy Perfection (kamāl).

[9]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ اَسمائِكَ بِاَكْبَرِها وَ كُلُّ اَسْمائِكَ كَبيرَةٌ

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِاَسْمائِكَ كُلِّها

O my God!

I beseech thee by thy Asmā' (Names) by virtue of their supreme Greatness (akbar)

for all Thy Names (asmā') are truly Great (kabīr).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the totality of Thy Names (asmā').

[10]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ عِزَّتِكَ باَعَزِّها وَ كُلُّ عِزَّتِكَ عَزيزَةٌ

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِعِزَّتِكَ كُلِّها

O my God!

I beseech thee by Thy `Izzat (Might) at its utmost Mightiness (a`azza)

for all Thy Might (`izzat) is truly Mighty (`azīz).

I, verily, O my God!

beseech Thee by the fullness of Thy Might (`izzat).

[11]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ مَشِيَّتِكَ بِاَمْضاها وَ كُلُّ مَشِيَّتِكَ ماضِيَةٌ

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِمَشِيَّتِكَ كُلِّها

O my God!

I beseech thee by Thy Mashiyya[t] (Will) at its most Conclusive (amḍā)

for all of thy Will (mashiyya[t]) is truly conclusive (māḍiyat).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the totality of Thy Will (mashiyya[t]).

[12]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ قُدْرَتِكَ بِالْقُدْرَةِ الَّتي اسْتَطَلْتَ بِها عَلى كُلِّ شَيْء وَ كُلُّ قُدْرَتِكَ مُسْتَطيلَةٌ

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِقُدْرَتِكَ كُلِّها

O my God!

I beseech thee by Thy Qudrat (Power) through the Power (qudrat) of which Thou overshadoweth

all things for all of Thy Power (qudrat) is truly All-Subduing (mustatīlat).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the fullness of Power (qudrat).

[13]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ عِلْمِكَ بِاَنْفَذِهِ وَ كُلُّ عِلْمِكَ نافِذٌ

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِعِلْمِكَ كُلِّهِ

O my God!

I beseech Thee by Thy `Ilm (Knowledge) at its most Acute (anfad)

for all of Thy Knowledge (`ilm) is truly Penetrating (nāfid).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Knowledge (`ilm).

[14]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ قَوْلِكَ بِاَرْضاهُ وَ كُلُّ قَوْلِكَ رَضِيٌّ

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِقَوْلِكَ كُلِّهِ

O my God!

I beseech Thee by Thy Qawl (Speech) at its most Delightful (ardā)

for all Thy Speech (qawl) is especially Pleasing (raḍiyy).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Speech (qawl).

[15]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ مَسائِلِكَ بِاَحَبِّها اِلَيْكَ وَ كُلُّ مَسائِلِكَ اِلَيْكَ حَبيبَةٌ

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِمَسائِلِكَ كُلِّها

O my God!

I beseech Thee by Thy Masā'il (Questions) which are most Agreeable (ahabb) of Thee

for all of Thy Concerns (masā'il) are truly beloved (habīb).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the whole of Thine affairs (masā'il).

[16]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ شَرَفِكَ بِاَشْرَفِهِ وَ كُلُّ شَرَفِكَ شَريفٌ

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِشَرَفِكَ كُلِّهِ

O my God!

I beseech thee by thy Sharaf (Honour) which is most Honourable (sharaf)

for all of Thine Honour (sharaf) is truly Honoured (sharīf).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the whole of Thine Honour (sharaf).

[17]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ سُلْطانِكَ بِاَدْوَمِهِ وَ كُلُّ سُلطانِكَ دائِمٌ

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِسُلْطانِكَ كُلِّهِ

O My God!

I beseech thee by thy Sulṭān ("Sovereignty") at its most Permanent (adwam)

for the whole of Thy Dominion (sulṭān) is truly Enduring (dā'im).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the absoluteness of Thy Sovereignty (sulṭān).

[18]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ مُلْكِكَ بِاَفْخَرِهِ وَ كُلُّ مُلْكِكَ فاخِرٌ

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِمُلْكِكَ كُلِّهِ

O my God!

I beseech Thee by Thy Mulk (Dominion) at its most Magnificent (afkhar)

for the whole of Thy Dominion (mulk) is truly Excellent (fākhir).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Dominion (mulk).

[19]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ عُلُوِّكَ بِاَعْلاهُ وَ كُلُّ عُلُوِّكَ عال

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِعُلُوِّكَ كُلِّهِ

O my God!

I beseech Thee by Thy `Ulūww (Sublimity) at its most Lofty (a`lā)

for the whole of Thy Sublimity (`ulūww) is truly Lofty (`āl[īn]).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the fullness of Thy Sublimity (`ulūww).

[20]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ مَنِّكَ بِاَقْدَمِهِ وَ كُلُّ مَنِّكَ قَديمٌ

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِمَنِّكَ كُلِّهِ

O my God!

I beseech Thee by Thy Mann (Benevolence) at its most Immemorial (aqdam)

for the totality of Thy Benevolence (mann) is truly Pre-existent (qadīm).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Benevolence (mann).

[21]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ مِنْ اياتِكَ بِاَكْرَمِها وَ كُلُّ آياتِكَ كَريمَةٌ

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِآياتِكَ كُلِّها

O God!,

I beseech thee by thy āyāt (Verses/Signs) at their most Distinguished (akram)

for all Thy Verses (āyāt) (verses) are truly Precious (karīm).

I, verily, O my God! beseech Thee by the totality of Thy Verses (āyāt).

[22]

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِما اَنْتَ فيهِ مِنَ الشَّأنِ وَالْجَبَرُوتِ ، وَاَسْاَلُكَ بِكُلِّ شَأْن وَحْدَهُ جَبَرُوت وَحْدَها

اَللّـهُمَّ اِنّي اَسْاَلُكَ بِما تُجيبُني بِهِ حينَ اَسْاَلُكَ فَاَجِبْني يا اَللهُ

I, verily, beseech Thee, O my God!

by that whereby Thou hast Standing (sha'n) and Omnipotence (jabarūt)

and I supplicate Thee by virtue of every single quality (shan) and dimension of Power (jabarūt)

that Thou do indeed answer me by virtue of the foregoing at the very moment I request of Thee!

Wherefore do Thou answer me, O my God!

No comments: