Thursday, August 28, 2008

Bahá’í wins Olympic Triple Jump Gold

Athlete Nelson Evora - a member of the Bahá’í Faith - has won an Olympic Gold Medal in the men’s triple jump.24 year old Mr Evora jumped 17.67 metres, adding the Olympic title to his world crown and giving Portugal its first Olympic gold medal in 12 years.Born in Cote D’Ivoire where his parents had gone to live from Cape Verde, Mr Evora relocated to Portugal when he was five. The family moved into an apartment that happened to be on the floor above his future coach, trainer and mentor, Joao Ganco, a member of the Portuguese Bahá’í community.Mr Evora became a Portuguese citizen in 2002 after previously competing for the Cape Verde Islands.“I can’t yet believe that I won this competition,” said Mr Evora. “It was so fast. It was a dream for me. I will be persistent in my efforts and achieve better results in the future. I believe I can do that.” news from the UK Bahá’í community

No comments: